This baked orange chicken recipe has lost the fat and calories of the typical deep fried version, but it remains bursting with orange, garlic, honey and ginger and the panko breading helps keep it nice and moist. Even better, you don’t need to stand over a hot pan of oil!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. gingerroot minced
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 450. Line two baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the flour in a large zip loc bag and add salt and pepper. Add the chicken and shake well, to cover each piece. Remove to a plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip pieces over and bake an additional ten minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl..
- Heat sesame and olive oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until golden brown, about two minutes.
- Add the hoisin sauce, orange juice, marmalade, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil, stirring constantly and cook until slightly thickened,
- Pour the sauce over the chicken adn toss well to coat. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion if desired,.