Blueberries and almonds are a power couple. Not only are they flavor sweethearts, with deliciously complementary tastes, but they both boast significant anti oxidants. In these buttery bars, they are combined with white chocolate and they truly become a match made in heaven. The recipe comes from Midwest Living magazine, where it was a grand prize winner at a country fair, and here it is tweaked just a little.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white chocolate chips divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup blueberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325. Line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper and grease it.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the white chocolate chips. Stir gently until melted.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar and stir just until combined. Add butter mixture and stir until combined. Stir in almond extract.
- Add flour and salt to egg mixture and stir gently until combined. Spread half into the prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Heat jam in microwave until soft and spreadable, about 45 seconds. Spread this over the warm crust.
- Add the remaining white chocolate chips to the remaining batter. Drop the batter in tablespoons onto the jam filling. Spread very gently to cover. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top is golden.
- Cool completely before cutting into desired size bars.