Weekend pleasures… a bundle of rhubarb on a platter from a friend, tied in a bow and ready to be used deliciously.
These rhubarb streusel muffins aren’t pretty, in fact they look pretty crumbly and lumpy, but they pack a just-sour-enough wallop, which is balanced with the sweet brown sugar and pecan topping. The sour cream in the batter adds moistness and the streusel has a hint of cinnamon– yum! Very worthwhile.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups rhubarb chopped small
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup pecan chopped fine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Fill muffin tin with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the pecans, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until crumbly and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the sour cream, and mixing well after each addition. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Fill the paper cups about three-fourths full. Sprinkle topping over the tops.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Loosen the edges right away, but allow to cool in the pan completely.