Here is a lovely salad. Chock full of flavor, texture and color, it is hearty enough for a dinner entree, but also a nice addition to a salad lunch. It has morphed from its Panera Grills inspiration, but retains the very gratifying combination of apple, chicken, nut and cheese.
The greens can be changed to spinach, cabbage, shredded broccoli, kale or a combination. If using kale or a more bitter green, you might want to add in some shredded carrot to sweeten it.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts shredded or in bite size chiunks
- 1 1/2 cups feta cheese crumbled
- 1 red onion very thinly sliced
- 4 tart apples thinly sliced
- 2 cups apple chips broken into small pieces
- 2 cups candied or glazed pecans coarsely chopped
- 8 cups mixed greens or spinach
- 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- Make dressing: Combine lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until thick and emulsified.
- Combine chicken, apples, feta, apple chips, pecans, onions, and greens in large bowl and toss well. Add dressing shortly before serving.