This is such a supreme dessert that trying to describe it seems redundant. Vanilla cheesecake is made extra creamy with mascarpone cheese and tops a buttery pecan and graham cracker crust. A thick covering of chocolate covers the entire very worthwhile goodie. You will want to cut these small as they are very rich. Cut them into squares or rectangles, or use a cookie cutter to make elegant little rounds. Top with candy flowers or whatever edible decor you fancy!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup pecans coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese softened
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. orange or lemon peel grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 24 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped
- 3 tbsp. shortening
- Heat oven to 300. Line a 13" x 9" baking pan with foil or parchment paper so that it extends over the edge of the pan. Spray well with cooking or baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, place the crust ingredients and toss with a fork until well combined. Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and mascarpone until smooth. Add the remaining filling ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour this over the crust.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes and remove from oven. The edges will appear set but the center will be soft. Let cool and then refrigerate until well chilled. Place in freezer for a few hours until it is very firm. (this will help your cutting)
- Remove the cheesecake from the foil and cut into desired shapes. Place them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.
- In a medium saucepan or a double boiler, melt the chocolate, stirring frequently until melted. Add the shortening and combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place chocolate in a measuring cup or a deep bowl. Using a fork, dip each piece into the chocolate and cover top and sides, letting excess drip off. Place onto waxed paper.
- Let cool and decorate as desired.