Among the endless fabulous finds at Trader Joe’s is the garlic marinated mushrooms. Small mushrooms marinated in vinegar, with spices, garlic, peppers and onion, these are a delicious fat free snack, and also very handy for adding to salads, a charcuterie platter or a pasta dish. But once in awhile, the shelf is bare at TJ’s! Not to worry, though, because it turns out that making your own couldn’t be easier. This recipe is similar to the Trader Joe’s version, but has some added olive oil, which will help with clinging to the pasta or salad ingredients.
16 oz. jars
- 7 pounds mushrooms washed,trimmed, cut into halves or quarters if necessary
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup prepared lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. canning salt
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 8 oz. pimiento peppers drained, chopped
- 15 to 18 garlic cloves whole, peeled
- 30 black or other color peppercorns
- Sterilize jars, rings and lids and keep hot.
- In very large pan or multiple pans, bring water and lemon juice to boil. Add mushrooms and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine oil, vinegar, spices, salt, onions and pimientos in large pan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and combine with mushrooms.
- Set out jars and into each, place several garlic cloves and peppercorns.
- Add the mushroom mixture to each jar, leaving 1/2" head space. Wipe rims, and cover with sterilized lids and rings.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Remove and let sealed jars sit undisturbed for 24 hours.
- Allow six weeks for full flavor to develop.