This is a chicken recipe for the cheese lover! Chicken and spinach is rolled around ricotta, Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheeses, topped with fresh mozzarella and more Parmesan and then baked in marinara sauce. It can be assembled ahead of time and baked just in time for dinner.
Adapted from numerous internet and Pinterest recipes!
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally and pounded thin (8 pieces)
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6 oz. spinach chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozarella cheese shredded
- 4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- fresh basil leaves julienned for garnish
- Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and add the 1 tbsp. basil, 1 tbsp. oregano, 3 tbsp Parmesan and the garlic powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet and saute the garlic for one minute. Add the spinach and cook another minute or two, or until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, 1 egg, spinach, shredded mozzarella, 2 tbsp. Parmesan, red pepper flakes, 2 tsp. dried basil, and 2 tsp. dried oregano. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray the bottom of a large baking dish with oil. Place remaining beaten eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Place chicken breasts on a flat work surface. Put a spoonful of the ricotta-spinach mixture in the middle of each chicken breast, and roll up tightly.
- Dip each chicken roll into the egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Place seam side down in the baking dish. Pour marinara sauce down center of the chicken and top with a mozzarella slice.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp. of Parmesan cheese while still hot.
- Garnish with fresh basil before serving.